What are the qualifications to get Medicare Part A Hospital at no cost?

To be eligible for premium-free Part A, Hospital – an individual must be entitled to receive Medicare based on their own earnings or those of a spouse, parent, or child.

To receive premium-free Part A, the worker must have a specified number of quarters of coverage (QCs) [40] and file an application for Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) benefits.

The exact number of QCs (quarters) required is dependent on whether the person is filing for Part A on the basis of age, disability, or End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). QCs are earned through payment of payroll taxes under the Federal Insurance Contributions Act Wikipedia (FICA) during the person’s working years.

Most individuals pay the full FICA tax so the QCs they earn can be used to meet the requirements for both monthly Social Security benefits and premium-free Part A. Medicare & You Handbook – and Enrolling in A & B See link in side panel *  


8 comments on “No charge for Part A Hospital qualification rules

  1. I’m 65 now and have worked and paid taxes into Medicare for 50 years. I’m not lawfully present. Can I still enroll and not risk getting deported?

    • Here’s our webpage on Lawful Presence for ACA/Obamacare….

      I’m not an immigration attorney. I don’t see how though that taking Medicare, that you’ve paid into would be considered a Public Charge.

      For purposes of determining inadmissibility, “public charge” means an individual who is likely to become primarily dependent on the government for subsistence, as demonstrated by either the receipt of public cash assistance for income maintenance or institutionalization for long-term care at government expense. https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/public-charge

      What happens to benefit payment if a beneficiary is in the U.S. but is not a U.S. citizen or lawfully present alien?
      • Payment to a claimant entitled to monthly title II

      ***Disabilty SSA.Gov ***** Disability Benefits.org

      and title XVIII

      ***Medicare A & B Very Technical SSA.gov ******** Medicare & You

      benefits who meets all factors of entitlement will be suspended for any month that he/she is in the U.S. but has not established his/her U.S. citizenship/lawful presence for a full calendar month.

      • Payment of monthly title II and title XVIII benefits for periods of retroactive entitlement that fall prior to 12/1/96 will be suspended if the title II and title XVIII application was filed 12/1/96 or later.

      • Payments to a title II and title XVIII beneficiary suspended retroactively for failing to establish U.S. citizenship or lawful presence are overpayments subject to the rules of due process. Action to recover the overpaid amount will be taken in accordance with normal recovery procedures. The overpaid person must be given notice of the overpayment, the proposed recovery action, and the right to reconsideration, waiver, personal conference, or a different rate of adjustment (or refund by installment). (See GN 02201.001 for an explanation of processing overpayments.)

      • Section 5561 of the Balanced Budget Act (BBA) prohibits payment for Medicare services rendered to an alien who is not lawfully present in the U.S. It is important to differentiate between the U.S. lawful presence requirement prohibiting “payment” for Medicare services rendered to an alien who is not lawfully present in the U.S. and policy in HI 00801.191D.2. indicating that there is no U.S. residency requirement for determining Medicare “eligibility.” Process a Medicare claim, including an End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) claim if all factors of entitlement are met, but the U.S. lawful present requirement is not met. CMS is responsible for not paying Medicare services rendered to an alien who is not lawfully present in the U.S. https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0300204010

  2. I’m self employed and haven’t filed taxes for years. I’m now filing so that I can get my 40 quarters in. I turn 65 in January 2020. Why is Medicare telling me I have to have everything in by September 30?

        • Well, 1st of all, I’m not a CPA and not allowed to give tax advice.

          Here’s research though, make your own interpretation and check with your CPA, Attorney and/or competent tax counsel.

          There’s a time limit for reporting Social Security earnings and getting credits towards future Social Security benefits. The time period is 3 years, 3 months, and 15 days following the end of the calendar year in which you earn the income. If your earnings are not reported within this time period, you will not accumulate any Social Security credits for the unreported income. https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/ssact/title02/0205.htm Colvin Hallett Law

          The Social Security Administration no longer mails out an annual Social Security Statement. In order to view your Social Security Statement, you must register on the Social Security Administrations website.

          The Balance.Com

          You earn work credits on the minimum $1,360 of earnings no matter when or how frequently you earn them. Theoretically, you could earn four work credits in a single month in which you make $5,440. That would max out your work credits for the year, however. Zacks.com

          Social Security Self Employed 10022

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

wp-puzzle.com logo